Friday, December 16, 2011

Semester Reflection

This semester’s felt extremely long, but we’re almost done! In class we only read In Dubious Battle and Persepolis, but I had read all the books assigned during summer break. Each one had its ups and downs and they all had depressing endings. So I definitely learned that not all stories have happy endings. Persepolis along with my philosophy class opened my eyes to Muslims. Before I didn’t really have any thoughts about them besides that the women wore the veils and there were a lot in Milpitas. I feel like this semester I’ve learned so much more about Islam and their beliefs. I don’t generally agree with any religion, but I found that it’s just as good a religion as any other. Oddly I feel a little more protective of the people and the religion now that I know more about it, especially towards people who are ignorant and prejudice because of what a group of people did. I know Marjane is atheist, but her story goes to show that no matter where you live that we are all the same; I grew up in a Christian/Catholic home and became agnostic where she grew up in an Islamic community and still threw away her faith.
When the Occupy movement became larger I had already finished In Dubious Battle so it was easier to relate to these people in the movement and to see how difficult these battles can be. Looking back at the book it’s also easier to relate to why these people wanted to fight back so badly with my understanding of the Occupy movement.
When I finished The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian I was pretty shocked, I had no idea that American Indians were living like this. I knew they lived on reservations, but I always thought they were well off with the money the government gave them. I didn’t know that so many committed suicide, were alcoholics, or that they lived in such bad conditions. His story was very inspiring and definitely opened my eyes on these conditions.
I feel like this class and semester has really made me aware of the religious and racial communities in America and outside it too. I feel enlightened and believe I’ll hold these stories in my heart for a long time to come.
Besides the books we’ve read we’ve also learned so much about different theories. Before I was only aware of analytical theories, but I’ve learned many more this semester. In total I believe this semester was my most productive one so far and I hope the next ones here at SJCC and when I transfer are just as awarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment